Grading Policy

Quick Reference:

Withdrawal from Classes
Grade Point Average
Incomplete Grades
Standards of Academic Progress (SOP)
Semester Credit Hours

Student Grade Point Average

Students are graded according to the following grade point system:

Grade Point Value Description
A 4 Excellent
B 3 Very Good
C 2 Satisfactory
D 1 Poor
F 0 Failing

The following grades are not used in computing the grade point average:

AU Audit
I Incomplete
P Passing*
R Repeat*
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
W Withdrawal
WN Withdrawal/Never Attended
X Credit by Examination

P/R grades are to be used in special situations only (e.g. Math Modules, DRE Courses) Effective January 1, 2012

Student Attendance

Attendance may affect a student’s grade in an individual course as well as financial aid eligibility. Consult individual course syllabi for information on how attendance may affect a course grade.

Student Grade Point Average (GPA)

Students are graded according to the following grade point system.


MAT 171, 4 credits, Grade A = 4 points, 4 X 4 = 16
ENG 113, 3 credits, Grade D = 1 point, 3 X 1 = 3
SPA 111, 3 credits, Grade B = 3 points, 3 X 3 = 9
SPA 181 lab, 1 credit, Grade B = 3 points, 1 X 3 = 3
ACA 122, 1 credits, Grade C = 2 points, 2 X 1 = 2
Total Credits: 12 Total Points: 33
Divide 35 points by 13 credits = 2.75 GPA (Grade Point Average)

Three GPA’s will appear on the student’s academic record:

  1. cumulative GPA
  2. cumulative program GPA
  3. term GPA

Grades earned under the quarter system retain their same value in calculating the GPA. The computer converts the GPA from quarter hours to semester hours for students’ combined GPA.

Semester Credit Hours

  • 16 contact hours of classroom work equals 1 semester credit hour.
  • 32 or 48 contact hours of laboratory work equals 1 semester credit hour.
  • 48 contact hours of clinical work equals 1 semester credit hour.
  • 160 contact hours of work experience equals 1 semester credit hour.

Withdrawal from Classes

Whenever students determine they are unable to complete courses in which they are currently enrolled, it is their responsibility to initiate procedures leading to a formal withdrawal (W) in order to avoid a failing (F) grade. To receive a “W” grade, students must withdraw prior to the 35 percent date of the class. Final dates for withdrawing from a course are announced in the instructor's syllabus. Instructors also may assign a “W” at other times when circumstances warrant such action. A “W” status remains on the transcript and does not count as credit hours attempted. To receive credit, students who receive a “W” must re-register and pay for the course in a subsequent term.

Financial aid recipients need to refer to the financial aid satisfactory progress policy to determine if schedule adjustments will affect financial aid. Additionally, financial aid students may be required to repay the U.S. Department of Education any of their tuition/fees and/or book charges. Withdrawing from any class may create an overpayment status for Veterans Affairs students. The last day of attendance must be verified for all Financial Aid/VA students.

Incomplete Grades

An “I” (Incomplete) may be assigned when a student has persisted through the course and has completed at least 90 percent of the requirements for passing the course or when the instructor has determined extenuating circumstances exist. A student must resolve an “I” (Incomplete) grade within the time frame specified by the instructor or the division, but no later than six months from the end of the term for which the grade was assigned. When an “I” grade has been resolved, the final grade is recorded with the appropriate letter grade (e.g., A, B) and the GPA is recomputed. An “I” which is unresolved is changed to the grade of “I/F” after the specified expiration date. For veterans affairs students, the last day of attendance must be verified for any incomplete grades.

Standards of Academic Progress

Academic Warning

Students enrolled in a program whose cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 will be placed on Academic Warning. Students placed on Academic Warning are blocked from registering until they contact their faculty advisors or other designated individuals. Students who improve their GPA at the end of the next term are placed back into good standing.

Academic Probation

Students who are on Academic Warning and do not earn a term GPA of 2.0 or higher are escalated to Academic Probation. Students must contact their faculty advisors and are not able to register until grades are posted. While on Academic Probation, students are limited to registering for the number of courses approved by their faculty advisors. If their GPA does not improve by the end of the term of probation, students are placed on Academic Suspension.

Academic Suspension

Students who do not raise their term GPA to the required level by the third term of not meeting Standards of Progress, are placed on First Academic Suspension. While on First Academic Suspension, students are referred for academic advisement to student counselors who work with them to develop an academic course of action. If students fail to make appropriate progress during the term of First Academic Suspension, they are placed on Final Suspension and are suspended from enrolling in any curricular classes at Central Piedmont for one term. During that term, students have the option to take developmental classes, ESL, Career Development, Continuing Education classes or no classes.

Students who raise their GPA the next term following any of the above interventions are returned to good standing. However, after Academic Suspension, students must see a counselor to have their registration block removed before registering for the next term. For more information, go to Policy 3.08 Grading Policy.