This is an archived copy of the 2015-16 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit


College Admission

Central Piedmont Community College follows an “open door” policy that welcomes all students without regard to color, creed, disability, race, national origin, or gender.  However, admission to the College, itself does not mean that students are admitted immediately into a program with specified admissions requirements. All degree and diploma programs require high school graduation or its equivalent. The high school graduation requirement is considered to have been met by:

  • Graduation from a high school recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE)
  • Graduation from a high school accredited by an accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education (CHEA)
  • Graduation from a certified home school
  • Possession of a High School Equivalency Diploma
  • Possession of an Adult High School Diploma

Steps for admission vary, depending on the learning goals of each student at CPCC. Students are encouraged to contact the College early in order to complete enrollment steps before the class registration period begins.

Quick Reference: An admissions office is available on every CPCC campus.  On Central Campus, it is in the second floor (ground floor) lobby of the Central High Building and can be reached by phone at: 704.330.6006.  Students may enroll throughout the year, but the College has Admissions Priority Deadlines. Use the deadlines to allow time to register for classes in the next upcoming term.  Find updated deadlines and detailed information about admission processes at: .

Career and College Promise (high school enrichment programs)

Students currently enrolled in North Carolina high schools who want to take courses at CPCC may call 704.330.6637 or visit this website: .

High School Completion

For students who plan to complete high school (grades 9-12), CPCC offers the Adult High School (HSD), and the High School Equivalency Test Preparation programs.

  • The Adult High School Diploma (HSD) Program leads to a high school diploma granted by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education. The number of credits required for graduation is set in conjunction with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. For more information, call 704.330.6129.
  • The High School Equivalency Test offers another opportunity for students who have not completed high school.  A High School Equivalency Diploma is awarded by the North Carolina Community College System after a student passes individual tests that reflect the equivalent knowledge and skills of graduating high school seniors. For more information, call 704.330.6129.

Quick Reference: Adult High School or High School Equivalency Programs are available for students who need a high school credential.  For information or assistance, call 704.330.6129 or visit the CPCC Education Center located on the Central Campus.

College and Career Readiness Programs    

  • Adult ESL-English as a Second Language
    Adult English as a Second Language non-credit courses focus on helping students obtain a level of English language proficiency that will allow them to meet personal and professional goals. Instruction is provided by professionals trained to teach students from diverse cultural, geographical and linguistic backgrounds. Coursework is tailored to reflect the goals of the students and helps prepare students for further academic study, employment and/or citizenship. Higher level students will begin to develop the cognitive academic language proficiencies needed to make these transitions. Courses are free of charge to students. For more information, call 704.330.6172.

Quick Reference: Non-native speakers interested in attending free, non-credit, English as a Second Language classes may call 704.330.6172 or visit the Adult ESL office in Room 200 of the Kratt Building on Central Campus.

  • Foundational Skills Programs
    The Foundational Skills program offers students an opportunity to learn basic language arts (reading and writing) and math skills. After completing all four Foundational Skills levels, students will be prepared for entry into high school equivalency programs, Adult High School, and/or short-term training programs. The College also provides services to help people with disabilities learn the life skills they need to enjoy independent living and successful employment in the real world. There is no charge for these classes. For more information, call 704.330.6129.

Quick Reference: Students who want to read, write or compute at an adult level may call the Education Center at 704.330.6129. Students who followed the OSC track in High School or had an IEP and can provide appropriate documentation from Disability Services may call 704.330.6219 or in Room 200 of the Kratt Building on Central Campus.

  • Human Resources Development
    The Human Resources Development Program offers job-seeking support through skills assessment, training and career development courses.  Assistance is available in the HRD office in Room 337 of the Central High Building on Central Campus or by calling 704.330.6794.

  • Pathways to Careers
    This program is designed to provide training and academic support for entry-level employment in high demand careers. Pathways offers a comprehensive program by providing contextualized academic skill development, career advising, work readiness and occupational training. Students are given the opportunity to earn a high school credential while earning an occupational certificate in one of several areas such as developmental disabilities, welding, or medical reimbursement.

First Year Experience (FYE)

The First Year Experience Program provides enrollment support for students attending college for the first time taking classes for college-level credit. New college applicants can find the enrollment steps at . These steps include orientation, advising, and course registration. A short demonstration video accompanies each step.  

First Year Advising

All new students who plan to take college-credit courses should make First Year Advising their first step. Find First Year Experience online at or contact the FYE program:

  • By email at:
  • By phone at: 704.330.6100
  • At campus offices:
    • On Central Campus in Charlotte in Room 110 of the Central High Building
    • On Levine Campus in Matthews in Room 2225 of the Levine 2 Building.
First Year Financial Aid

Personal assistance and information about the financial aid process is available through the First Year Experience Program in Room 112 of the Central High Building on Central Campus in Charlotte.

College-Level Curriculum Students

Non-Degree Students

Students who want to take college-level courses but do not plan to pursue a degree, diploma, or certificate should follow the enrollment steps for Non-Degree Seeking Students at .

Degree-Seeking Students

All new students who plan to enter a degree, diploma, or certificate program for college-level credit need to follow the enrollment steps listed for College Credit at: .  Help in completing the enrollment steps is available through First Year Experience at 704.330.6100 or by emailing .  Contact the FYE Program:

  • By email at:
  • By phone at: 704.330.6100
  • At campus offices:
    • On Central Campus in Charlotte in Room 110 of the Central High Building
    • On Levine Campus in Matthews in Room 2225 of the Levine 2 Building.

Find First Year Experience online at .

Program Changes

  • Students who want to change their program of study must meet with the academic department offering the new desired program or with the Counseling and Advisement Office before registration begins. Veterans Affairs students must contact the Veterans Educational Benefits Office (VEBO) at CPCC in Terrell Building on Central Campus before making any program changes.
  • Students receiving Financial Aid should consult the Financial Aid office prior to making a program change to determine if the program change will affect their eligibility for financial aid.

International Student Admissions

Applications for international student enrollment at CPCC are available in the Office of International Programs and Services located in the Central High Building, Room 101, by phone at 704.330.6838, or online at:

F-1 Visa students

F-1 Visa students should follow the enrollment steps for F-1 Visa International Students at .

  1. Evidence of English competency: A TOEFL score is not required to apply to CPCC. However, in order to enter a college-level program, F-1Visa students must meet the TOEFL, IELTS requirement, or complete the Academic English as a Second Language Program (EFL).
  2. Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (iBT TOEFL) – Test scores: Reading 17; Listening 17; Speaking 16; and Writing 16.
  3. Academic International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) – Test scores: Reading 6.5; Listening 6.5; Speaking 6.5 and Writing 6.5. If any single score on either test falls below the minimum, the student is required to take, and complete, the Academic English as a Second Language (ESL) Program. CPCC no longer accepts paper-based TOEFL (pBT) or Computer-based cBT) TOEFL.
  4. Processing Fee: A $40 processing fee is required and must be submitted with the completed international student application.
  5. Medical Insurance: Any international student (non-immigrant) who is admitted to CPCC under an F-1 student visa must purchase medical insurance prior to registration each semester.  
Permanent Resident Aliens or Other Visa Holders

Alien registration card holders and others holding certain valid work visas are admitted to the College in the same manner as native citizens of the United States. (Restrictions may apply to some visa types regarding residence classification for tuition purposes.)

Undocumented Immigrants

The North Carolina Community College System advised in Memorandum CC10-026 (effective June 10, 2010) that community colleges should admit or enroll undocumented or illegal immigrants only as follows:

  • Enrollment in Non-College Level Courses: Undocumented immigrants may enroll in non-college level courses or programs including high school equivalency preparation courses, Foundational Skills, Adult High School, English as a Second Language and other continuing education courses less than college level.
  • Enrollment in College-Level Courses:  Undocumented immigrants who are high school students may enroll in college-level courses consistent with the Career and College Promise policy. Participation in this program is not based on legal residence, but on attendance in a North Carolina high school. These courses are open to all high school students attending high school (public, private, or home school) located in the state who meet the eligibility criteria.

Undocumented immigrants must have attended and graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home school that operates in compliance with state and local law. Undocumented immigrants with a High School Equivalency diploma are not considered to be “graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home school” and therefore are not eligible to be admitted.

Undocumented or battered illegal immigrants who have been determined to meet one of the qualifying conditions in Federal Law, 8 USC Section 1641 are eligible for college-level courses. It is the applicant’s responsibility to produce sufficient written documentation to satisfy the College that the applicant is eligible for post-secondary education benefits.

  • Out-of-State Tuition Required: Undocumented immigrants who are registered into a class are required to pay the out-of-state tuition rate. The College shall not enroll undocumented students into a class or program of study for which there are waiting lists, nor register undocumented students for classes until the conclusion of the last published (i.e. late) registration period.

Quick Reference: Contact information for assistance with the following international issues: 

  • F-1 Visa Admissions: 704.330.6838; International Programs & Services, Room 101, Central High Bldg.
  • Other Visas: 704.330.6006; Admissions, Room 227, Central High Building, Central Campus
  • Permanent Resident: 704.330.6006; Admissions, Room 227, Central High Building, Central Campus
  • Limited English Proficiency/Adult ESL Testing: 704.330.6172; Adult ESL, Room 200, Kratt Hall, Central Campus
  • Academic ESL Testing: 704.330.6914; Testing Center, Room 248, Central High Bldg., Central Campus
  • Academic ESL Program: 704.330.6914; Foreign Languages & Academic ESL Division, Room 123, Sloan-Morgan Building, Central Campus;

Financial Assistance

Financial Aid

Financial Aid supports students in obtaining their educational goals. For more information, call 704.330.6942 or visit a Financial Aid office on any of the CPCC campuses.

Sponsored Student Programs/Cashiering Business Office

Students receiving financial support from outside the College or who have other financial questions or concerns should contact the Cashiering Business Office at 704.330.4262 or go to the Cashiering Business Office in Room 2131 in the Levine 1 Building of Levine Campus in Matthews.

TRiO Student Support Services empower eligible students to persist and graduate from college. A variety of services are offered to support students’ academic, personal and social needs.  The TRiO office is located in Room 117 of the Central High Building on Central Campus and can be reached at 704.330.6394.

Disability Services

Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) does not discriminate against students with disabilities in the recruitment and admissions process. CPCC acts in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended in 2008 (ADAAA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which states: "No otherwise qualified individual with a disability...shall, solely by reason of his or her disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

Students who require accommodations should contact Disability Services

  • by phone at 704.330.6621; Voice/TTY – 704.330.6421,
  • at the department office in Room 219 of the Terrell Building on Central Campus, or
  • online at: .

To request accommodations, students with disabilities must first self-identify, provide adequate documentation, and follow the procedures/steps outlined on the Disability Services website.  If determined to be reasonable, appropriate adjustments and/or auxiliary aids will be provided to enable participation and equal opportunity to benefit from all educational programs and activities at CPCC.  For further information, contact CPCC Disability Services by email at .

Transfer Resource Center

Students seeking advising services and programs to assist in transferring to four-year colleges or universities may call 704.330.6433 or visit the center at Student Success Services in room 365 of the Central High Building on Central Campus.

Veterans Services

Center for Military Families and Veterans

The Center for Military Families and Veterans provides resources and support which address the many aspects of transition from military to civilian life. Students may call the CMFV at 704.330.6126 or visit offices in

  • Room 233 of the Terrell Building on Central Campus,
  • Room 3115 of the Levine I Building on Levine Campus
Veterans Educational Benefits Office

The educational experience of veterans and eligible family members is supported by the Veterans Educational Benefits Office (VEBO). Students may visit the VEBO in Room 233 of the Terrell Building on Central Campus, call the office at 704.330.6267, or send an email to