NC Works NextGen
The NCWorks NextGen Program helps young adults, ages 16 to 24, gain work experience, enter the job market, complete educational goals, and prepare for a career. The program targets out-of-school youth with one or more barriers to employment. NextGen provides career exploration, paid internships, help to find employment, and scholarships for training and certifications. Eligible students can earn their high school diploma while being enrolled in the college's occupational programs at the same time. The program is funded by the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act under contract with Charlotte Works.
The program helps students plan, prepare, and launch a career in a high-demand field. Services include:
- tutoring and study skills training and academic support to improve reading and math skills
- GED®, HiSET® or adult high school classes (if needed) to complete a high school credential
- paid internships, work experiences, career exploration, and skill development
- scholarships and support to complete an occupational certificate in a high demand field or career pathway
- workforce preparation, job readiness, and career planning
- assistance with resumes, interview skills, and seeking employment
- soft skills certification (Working Smart)
- financial incentives (gift cards and more) for reaching success
- supportive services (transportation assistance and more) to overcome barriers
- knowledgeable and caring advisors help develop goals and assist students every step of the way
- guidance and counseling
- mentoring and leadership development
- financial literacy and empowerment
- entrepreneurial skills development and training
- employment and labor market information about in-demand occupations and sectors
- student success events, college, and workplace tours
- preparation and support to transition into postsecondary education and training (including colleges and universities)
- follow up to ensure employment and education success
- a renewed sense of hope, determination, and a plan for the future
For more information, call NextGen at 704.330.6794 or visit the NextGen website.
Working Smart Certification
Working Smart certification is issued by Charlotte Works, Mecklenburg County's Workforce Development Board, to certify the recipient's employability skills related to self-awareness, self-management, work ethics, communication skills, and problem solving skills. Satisfactory completion of the Working Smart course is necessary to receive the certification.
Occupational Skills Training
Funding is provided for students to complete certifications in a number of in demand career pathways such as:
- Nurse Aide (CNA)
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration (HVAC)
- Information Technology
- Culinary Arts
A full list of Workforce Development Board approved Training Providers and Programs in available on NCWorks.