Find balance, pleasure and discovery in life through continuing education courses designed for recreation, leisure and personal enrichment. Offered year-round and throughout Mecklenburg County, these courses do not earn college credit. The continuing education focus is on individual well-being and lifelong learning. Categories and topics vary in length from short seminars of a few hours to 30 hours or more of in-depth instruction. Most of these courses are fee-based, and all are open to the public.
Many personal enrichment courses are introductory and do not require any specific skill level or prerequisites. Some, however, are designed in progressive sequence from beginner to the more advanced. Courses span many areas of interest with topics including arts, floral design, sewing, interior decorating, music, fitness, wellness, gardening, foreign languages, cooking, motorcycle safety and personal finance.
A new cycle of continuing education courses is generally available each semester (spring, summer and fall). Registration and payment typically is available until the starting date of classes unless the course reaches maximum enrollment or is canceled. No enrollment application or transcripts are required.
Search for courses by topic(s) using a keyword or words in the online tool Schedule Builder on the college website home page.
To learn more, visit the Personal Enrichment Web page of the Corporate and Continuing Education website, or call customer service at 704.330.4223 to register for classes.
Explore all things creative, including creative writing, dance, drawing and painting, film critique, mixed media and music. Popular courses include those on the following lists. New or updated courses are often added to refresh the choices and to meet new interests and requests. For the latest offerings, check with Customer Service at 704.330.4223 or search by topic on Schedule Builder from the Continuing Education website.
Drawing and Painting
- Basic Acrylic Painting Techniques (AVO 8748)
- Basic Oil Painting Techniques (AVO 8500)
- Basics of Colored Pencil Drawing (AVO 8657)
- Basic Watercolor Techniques (AVO 8730)
- Drawing Techniques I & II (AVO 8558)
- Exploring Painting Media (AAC 8027)
- Intermediate Painting Techniques (AVO 8746)
- Urban Sketching with Ink and Watercolor (AVO 8568)
- Folk Harp Ensemble (AAC 8007)
- Folk Harp Ensemble II (AAC 8024)
- Piano for Beginners (AAC 8018)
- Piano for Beginners Level 2 (AAC 8019)
Central Piedmont offers a variety of courses on the repair and operation of vehicles and small engines. Some of the popular courses are listed; however, new classes may be added during the year. For the latest list of courses and to register, contact Customer Service at 704.330.4223.
Expert, friendly instructors guide learning and practice as students prepare delicious meals, desserts and more in professional kitchens. Package courses combine two or more courses in a skill or focus area and offer convenient single registration and cost savings. New or updated courses often are added to refresh the choices and to meet new interests and requests. For the latest offerings, check with Customer Service at 704.330.4223 or search by topic on Schedule Builder from the Continuing Education website.
The option to experience Charlotte Cooks’ team-building sessions also is available by request through the Corporate Learning Center by calling 704.330.4660. Fun and popular sessions may be customized, hands-on and affordable for groups, businesses and special occasions.
Baking and Pastry
Beer and Wine
Purchase Professional Tools
Food Allergy Intolerance Disclaimer
For the latest offerings, check with Customer Service at 704.330.4223 or search by topic on Schedule Builder from the Corporate and Continuing Education website. New or updated courses often are added to refresh choices and to meet new interests and requests for personal pleasure, skills and discovery.
- Fall and Holiday Floral Designs for Your Home (AVO 8569)
- Floral Certificate Part 1: Basic Floral Designs (AVO 8573)
- Floral Certificate Part 2: Intermediate Floral Designs (AVO 8602)
- Floral Certificate Part 3: Master Floral Designs (AVO 8574)
- Floral Certificate Part 4: Wedding Flowers (AVO 8575)
- Floral Certificate Part 5: Sympathy Flowers (AVO 8710)
Interior Design for Your Home
- Color, Finishes, and Windows for Your Home (DES 8101)
- Space Planning/Furniture Arrangement/Lighting for Your Home (DES 8102)
- Furniture: Mix and Match for Your Signature Style (DES 8103)
- Art, Accessories, and Outdoor Spaces for Your Home (DES 8104)
- Introduction to Home Staging (DES8106)
- The Art of De-cluttering: Clutter Intervention (DES 8108)
- Sewing I (HMK 8757)
- Sewing II (HMK 8751)
- Sewing III - Pattern Adjustment and Interpretation (SEW 8103)
- Professional Alterations I (SEW 8300)
- SEW 8301: Professional Alterations II
- Learn to Use Your Own Sewing Machine (HMK 8779)
- The Art of Quilting (HMK 8397)
- Tile Your Home (HOM 7003)
Central Piedmont offers courses to help individuals understand finances and improve their financial future. Whether participants are just out of high school or planning for retirement, programs provide the knowledge and skills to allow them to take charge of their finances.
The Corporate Learning Center can customize or tailor presentations to specific employees or private groups. Call the Corporate Learning Center at 704.330.4660 for questions or a quote.
Recreation and Wellness
Select from time honored disciplines, fitness-based activities or choose unique health offerings - all designed to improve one's life. Classes in Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, dance, sports classes, and more get students moving and on a path to better health. Great facilities on various campuses welcome all levels of participants. Participants may set their own pace with no annual commitment or fees.
New or updated courses often are added to refresh choices and to meet new interests and requests. Online courses are offered, too! For the latest offerings, check with Customer Service at 704.330.4223 or search by topic on Schedule Builder from the Continuing Education website.
- Personal Trainer National Certification (WT 7000)
A Central Piedmont partnership with World Instructor Training Schools (WITS) allows students to become Certified Personal Trainers prepared to work one-on-one with clients in fitness facilities. Study focuses on anatomy, exercise physiology, nutrition, musculoskeletal injuries, health assessments and more. Students must hold current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification to qualify for the exam. CPR certification is not required for class participation. Additional courses are available to provide Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credits. To learn more about current courses available, contact Customer Service at 704.330.4223, or use the online Schedule Builder to enter keyword terms, including "personal trainer."
- (LLI 7058)
- Yoga for Beginners (REC 8301)
Gain confidence and learn self defense in hands-on courses. Learn tips and techniques from top, experienced safety experts. For the latest offerings, check with Customer Service at 704.330.4223 or search by topic on Schedule Builder from the Continuing Education website. Exclusive Self Protection for Women classes are available for group or custom delivery through the Corporate Learning Center by calling 704.330.4660 for a quote.
Enjoy learning a new sport at Central Piedmont or polish skills while meeting new people and getting expert instruction. Classes are small and offered at convenient times for a great experience - and a great workout!
- Golf for Beginners (REC 8401)
- Tennis for Beginners