International Student Admission

Applications for international student enrollment at Central Piedmont are available

  • in the Office of International Programs and Services located in the Central High Building, Room 101,
  • by phone at 704.330.6838, or
  • online at the International Services website.

F-1 Visa students

F-1 Visa students should follow the enrollment steps for F-1 Visa International Students from Get Started on the Central Piedmont website.

  1. Evidence of English Competency: A TOEFL score is not required to apply to Central Piedmont . However, in order to enter a college-level program, F-1Visa students must meet the TOEFL, IELTS requirement, or complete the Academic English as a Second Language Program (EFL).
  2. Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (iBT TOEFL) Test scores: Reading 17; Listening 17; Speaking 16; and Writing 16.
  3. Academic International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) Test scores: Reading 6.5; Listening 6.5; Speaking 6.5 and Writing 6.5. If any single score on either test falls below the minimum, the student is required to take, and complete, the Academic English as a Second Language (ESL) Program. Central Piedmont no longer accepts paper-based TOEFL (pBT) or Computer-based cBT) TOEFL.
  4. Processing Fee: A $40 processing fee is required and must be submitted with the completed international student application.
  5. Medical Insurance: Any international student (non-immigrant) who is admitted to Central Piedmont under an F-1 student visa must purchase medical insurance prior to registration each semester.  

Permanent Resident Aliens or Other Visa Holders

Alien registration card holders and others holding certain valid work visas are admitted to the College in the same manner as native citizens of the United States. Certain visa holders are not eligible to begin any course of study until they are able to obtain a visa that permits academic study. (Restrictions may apply to some visa types regarding residence classification for tuition purposes.)

Undocumented Immigrants

The North Carolina Community College System advised in Memorandum CC10-026 (effective June 10, 2010) that community colleges should admit or enroll undocumented or illegal immigrants only as follows:

Enrollment in Non-College Level Courses: Undocumented immigrants may enroll in non-college level courses or programs including high school equivalency preparation courses, Foundational Skills, Adult High School, English as a Second Language and other continuing education courses less than college level.

Enrollment in College-Level Courses:  Undocumented immigrants who are high school students may enroll in college-level courses consistent with the Career and College Promise policy. Participation in this program is not based on legal residence, but on attendance in a North Carolina high school. These courses are open to all high school students attending high school (public, private, or home school) located in the state who meet the eligibility criteria.

Undocumented immigrants must have attended and graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home school that operates in compliance with state and local law. Undocumented immigrants with a High School Equivalency diploma are not considered to be “graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home school” and therefore are not eligible to be admitted.

Undocumented or battered illegal immigrants who have been determined to meet one of the qualifying conditions in Federal Law, 8 USC Section 1641 are eligible for college-level courses. It is the applicant’s responsibility to produce sufficient written documentation to satisfy the College that the applicant is eligible for post-secondary education benefits.

Out-of-State Tuition Required: Undocumented immigrants who are registered into a class are required to pay the out-of-state tuition rate. The College shall not enroll undocumented students into a class or program of study for which there are waiting lists, nor register undocumented students for classes until the conclusion of the last published (i.e. late) registration period.

Contact information for international students:

F-1 Visa Admissions: 704.330.6838; International Programs & Services, Room 101, Central High Bldg.
Other Visas: 704.330.6006; Admissions, Room 227, Central High Building, Central Campus
Permanent Resident: 704.330.6006; Admissions, Room 227, Central High Building, Central Campus
Limited English Proficiency/Adult ESL Testing: 704.330.6172; Adult ESL, Room 200, Kratt Hall, Central Campus
Academic ESL Testing: 704.330.6914; Testing Center, Room 248, Central High Bldg., Central Campus
Academic ESL Program: 704.330.6914; Foreign Languages & Academic ESL Division, Room 123, Sloan-Morgan Building, Central Campus